Floods are the most common scenario during storms or hurricanes in coastal areas. A flood occurs when an external body of water (a river, lake, swamp, or the sea) rises to a point where it enters your premises. A flood will usually affect not only your home or business but many other properties, your entire neighborhood, and even large areas of a city.
Floods may bring devastating effects to your property. In addition to the damage caused by water (structural damage, electrical damages), you may end up losing your belongings. Also, contaminated water can accelerate the growth of mold and mildew. Mold and mildew pose a significant health hazard and are very hard to eradicate.
Please, be aware that many insurance policies do not cover floods.
Usually, the insured will have to purchase a separate insurance for flood claims. Flood coverage is purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. By having a flood insurance policy, the odds of receiving a good settlement from your insurance company increase significantly.
A flood insurance claim can be a very confusing and frustrating process.
That’s why, if a flood damages your property, we recommend that you contact Omni Claims Consultants immediately. We will assist and support you in understanding these complex issues. Our experienced public adjusters will meet you at the property to evaluate the damages, review your policy, and assess the viability of your claim. We will help you to thoroughly and carefully document your claim in order to prevent it from being denied or minimized by the insurance company.
By becoming involved since the very beginning of the claim, Omni Claims Consultants can set the tone for the entire negotiation process and ensure that you receive the most from your insurance company. We work only on your behalf to make sure that you receive the maximum possible settlement. We will be there to advocate only for you and your property.
In addition to calling us, you may also take additional steps to secure your property and prevent further damage and fatal accidents.
Here’s a short list of recommendations and advice from our experts:
- Where possible, try to mitigate the damage. For example, if your roof is damaged try to put a tarp on it. If your windows are broken try to cover them with plywood. (Remember that it is your responsibility to prevent further damages from affecting your property).
- We strongly advise that you document all damages to your property. Take as many photographs and videos as you can.
- Make a written list of everything that was damaged by the flood and try to obtain receipts, proof of purchased items, etc.
- Try to gather any information related to previous repairs done to your property.
- If, due to damage, your property becomes unlivable and you have to make additional expenses such as accommodations, food, hotels, etc., we recommend that you keep all receipts for these expenses.
Repairs associated with flood damage can be very expensive. That’s why it’s important to have Omni Claims Consultants on your side right from the beginning. Don’t forget to call us immediately.