A power surge is defined as a sudden spike in the flow of electricity inside your property. This spike can heavily damage and even destroy your appliances, electronics, lights, etc: in short, everything that uses electricity.
Power surges may be caused by two main events: lightning and man-made electricity.
Lightning is a natural event that can cause a power surge when it strikes your home or telephone and power lines connecting with your property. Accidental damage from man-made electricity is caused by unexpected changes in the flow and load of electricity, either within your home, or because of faulty lines, transformers, or faulty operations by the power company.
Depending on how the electrical surge actually happened, and depending on your policy coverage, your damages can be covered by the insurance.
Since coverage can highly vary depending on your individual policy, we recommend that you call us immediately. Insurance claims that involve power surge are very complex and delicate. When filing a claim with your insurance company, you will need someone by your side to assist you and help you overcome the challenges of this situation. Omni Claims Consultants is here to help you.
Our public adjusters will meet you at the property to evaluate the damages, review your policy, and assess claim viability. We will help you to extensively document your claim in order to prevent it from being denied or minimized by the insurance company. We ask you to call us right away because by becoming involved since the very beginning of the claim process, we can set the tone for the entire negotiation and ensure that you receive a good settlement. Remember, Omni Claims Consultants will be there to advocate only for you and your property. We will represent your interests, not the insurance company.
In addition to calling us, you may also take additional steps to secure your property and prevent further damage and fatal accidents.
Here’s a short list of recommendations and advice from our experts:
- If your house is affected by power surge, disconnect all your appliances and check for potential fires. (Remember that, as the insured, it is your responsibility to prevent further damages from affecting your property).
- We strongly advise that you document all damages to your property and belongings. Take as many photographs and videos as you can.
- Make a written list of everything that was damaged by the power surge. It's important that you provide a proper and accurate inventory of all your damaged items.
- Try to gather all information that can be used to prove your ownership of the damaged items, such as receipts, credit card statements, etc.
- If, due to damage, your property becomes unlivable and you have to make additional expenses such as accommodations, food, hotels, etc., we recommend that you keep all receipts for these expenses.
Power surge claims can be very complex. That’s why it’s important to have our experts on your side right from the beginning. Don’t forget to call Omni Claims Consultants right away.